Saturday, January 19, 2008

Waiting on the "Time Machine"

How can I possibly fit all the exciting activities of the last four days into some sort of digestible literary format? Who knows? Let's find out.

As I write this, I sit at Megan's apartment waiting for the crack installation crew from Sears to deliver her new (well, soon enough it will be "our new") washing machine. They are going to be here between 9:45 and 11:45. It is currently 11:51. Go Sears. Kole is insistent that the are coming to deliver a "time machine" and we have corrected him repeatedly. I'm almost wishing it will be a time machine, so I can go back a few days and tell Sears they suck beforehand.

Work has been crazy. Crazy for a lot of reasons. Crazy because I have agreed to take on more tasks, but also crazy because I have so many now it is a struggle to complete them all in the time allotted and still maintain any semblance of a normal "home/outside life". I am tethered to my vocation by laptops, cell phones, deadlines, and my own erratic sense of perfectionism. It's been stressful. I have not been a pleasant person to be around, and its the ones I love the most who seem to bear the brunt of my ill manners. I have never been the kind of person who likes to"live" his job; it was always sort of a means to an end for me. I'm still not that kind of person. But the need to produce quality work and do more, better, faster is a constant struggle for me. Alas, until I get a few things pushed over into the "done" column, I have to settle for doing a lot of things "okay" versus a few things fantastically.

To compound things, I have this inner ear thing going on since yesterday. This is a particular, bizarre ailment that I unfortunately inherited from my Mom. Basically, it is fluid in the ears that tricks your brain into thinking that you're off balance all the time. Your equilibrium goes haywire, you are dizzy, nauseous, and it can make you feel very panicked. Think "the spins" when you're drunk but without being drunk. Just a walking Weeble that may indeed fall down at any moment.

Megan's parents gave me an awesome book for Christmas, and I've been tearing through it whenever I have free time. I'm about halfway through it and it's very cool. Called "Wild At Heart" it basically a study in the poor job the world, the church, and our peers have done in really helping men become more rooted in who they are. There is a series of books from this couple's ministry called "Ransomed Heart Ministries". I've found their work to be interesting, uplifting, and worth the read.

I have weekend work to accomplish. I have a birthday party to attend. I have Mexican food to consume. I have tread milling to do. I have officially sworn off the Creative line of products. I'm feeling nauseous.

3 comments:

cassandra and zachary said...

Hey, Zach!
You are one witty man. You and Meg and me and James Zachary should go see Semi-Pro when it comes out...like a double date. Don't worry, you'll get all your stuff done, that is if you use your time machine. We love that "Kole Boy."

Zachary Brown said...

Yes, Aunt Cassandra! I am all about a double-date! And thanks for the kind compliment!

Anonymous said...

Hi Zach! As usual, you make me laugh. Kevin and I want to see Semi-Pro too, but we don't want to triple-date...That would just be weird. :|